March 29, 2010

Pittsburgh Area Shopping Rumors: Is Off Fifth Coming to Washington PA's Tanger Outlets?! Update: RUMOR IS TRUE!


If this screencap from Saks Fifth Avenue's career opportunities website is any indication, then the answer is YES! I heard a rumor that the Tanger Outlets in Washington, PA (about 40 minutes south of the city) would be opening an Off Fifth eventually. But without dates or press releases I was doubtful. I am thrilled to see this employee recruitment call, which provides strong evidence that the store is impending.

This is especially exciting after reading the less happy news that Saks would close under-performing stores. Although I've heard from the extremely friendly and helpful Pittsburgh store associates that they have some of the strongest numbers in the company, I was concerned it was no longer true post-recession. 

As far as outlet options go, Off Fifth is a great score for the area! For those of you not from Pittsburgh, the other nearby outlets in Grove City, (north of the city by an hour or so) used to house an Off Fifth.  It closed years ago, long before I had the interest or driver's license to take advantage of its semi-locality. Since then, the nearest Off Fifth was all the way in Cleveland. Although it isn't my favorite of the discount luxury outlets, it will be great to have more options. There was a noticeable gap in the discount-seekers' market after the closing of Filene's Basement at the Homestead Waterfront. An Off Fifth is even better!

Relatedly, my ranked preferences of luxury discount stores/outlets:

1. Neiman Marcus Last Call
2. Nordstrom Rack
3. Off Fifth
4. Barneys Coop Outlet
5. Loehmann's
6. Filene's Basement
7. TJ Maxx/Marshalls/etc.

Not my favorite, but I'll take it! If it performs well enough, maybe Nordstrom will decide to expand their local offerings to also include a Nordstrom Rack?

Between this new reason to go to the outlets (which are not far from where my parents' live) and Bakery Square's soon-to-open Anthropologie in East Liberty, it will be difficult to maintain my 2010 resolution to want less!

UPDATE: Customers have been emailed from their Pittsburgh Sales Associates to confirm the opening of the Off Fifth in May of 2010!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails