May 22, 2010

Yay or Nay: Anthropologie Grand Cru dress

 Edited to add: I am selling the dress as I have not yet worn it.

Along with many others, I became enamored with the mixed materials and look of Burlapp's Bold Boutonnière dress from Anthropologie. And I found myself reaching for it often this spring. It yielded compliments everywhere I wore it from strangers and friends alike. And not just passing, "what a pretty dress," compliments, but "omg where is that from?!" style compliments. It made me wish I had found the dress in the black colorway on sale too. So I turned to ebay as I often do to hopefully find a deal. But there were no Bold Boutonnières to be found. I did find another similar dress also from Burlapp called the Grand Cru. I remember it was from the Holiday 09/10 collection. I had a coupon and paypal balance that paid for it. And it arrived quickly. But I feel really ambivalent about this dress. I am not sure if it is the different mix of materials or the fabric they used for the gold waistband, but regardless, I need some advice. It doesn't have the magic of the original, in my opinion. So should I Keep or Sell?

9 comments:

roxyturtle said...

I like it on you. I think that taste has shifted towards spring colors so this might look a little blah to you right now. But come fall I think you'd regret if you let this one go. Hold on to it.

Anjali said...

I think it's beautiful on you Jess, really. It's even more striking than the Bold Boutonniere. Honestly looking at these pictures is making me regret never considering getting it for myself! I want to snatch it from you and wear it with a pair of sheer pindot tights and some gold heels to my next party :)

SunnyDay said...

I really like it. I am drawn to the gold.

None said...

I'm not crazy about it, so I'll say sell.

Cat said...

I say sell. Your pictures speak volumes. You don't look like you're in love with the dress. Why give up valuable closet space for a piece that has no magic for you?

Dorky Medievalist said...

I love how you've styled it with the tights and the shoes but, at least in these pictures, I'm not feeling the shiny satin waistband. I think your closet should be full of dresses you are not ambivalent about.

Jesspgh of Consume or Consumed said...

Thank you all for the advice. I am leaning toward getting rid of it. It is nice but I don't think I like it enough to have it taking up space in my closet.

Alison said...

i have this dress. i was really into it at first, but i have to agree there is something about it that drives me crazy. i think it's the gold band. it's got a weird american apparel gold lame body suit feel to it.

Jesspgh of Consume or Consumed said...

Alison, That is exactly what surprised me. The gold waistband did not look so shiny in the stock photos.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails