March 16, 2012

In like a lamb...


I am not a fan of this very early spring weather. My distrust likely makes me sound joyless to some. But my love for cold weather has been documented extensively. Although this early spring with its unseasonably warm weather and already-bloomed crocuses might be welcomed by a vocal majority, it just makes me nervous about bugs, crop problems, and the insufferably hot summer that await us. March came in like a lamb and that is not my preference.


Cynthia agrees and is located further south than me. I worry about this lamblike early March, and the fairly lamblike February especially because my very old, radiator-heated home lacks central air conditioning. It doesn't even have the ducts necessary to install such a thing. And its older slidey windows mean that finding energy-efficient window a/c units becomes even more costly. The other thing I dislike about window a/c units is the effective loss of the practical use of that window for the rest of the season. Already, I see people in sandals and shorts and sundresses with bare legs and while they look adorable and everyone is smiling, something about it just feels wrong. The Pittsburgh and SWPA of my childhood had snow regularly into April. This year there was barely any snow at all. Good for my commute. But bad for my sense of seasonal equilibrium.

Outfit details (worn on a colder day):
MBMJ coat
Silk skull scarf from ebay tied with the coat scarf ties (McQueen or not McQueen)
Tory Burch Revas
Kors watch and misc bamboo enamel bracelets (though mine were cheaper and from Target)

5 comments:

Cynthia said...

When I was a kid in Wisconsin, they could keep the ice rink in the park frozen for a few months straight. Now my parents are riding their bicycles in 50 degree weather -- they could pretty much ride at least some days all through the winter. The weather is WEIRD.

Terri said...

Like Cynthia and you, I am worried about the summer and have been saying so since December. For me, it means exceeding high AC bills. I enjoy the fresh air, but our tenants do not.

Sarah said...

I'm also worried about the summer! I suspect it's going to be killer hot.

carol_prettythings said...

Our February and March weather has been pretty inconsistent, alternating between "cold" days (highs in the 50s and low to mid-60s) and warm to hot days (70s to the 80s), sometimes, jumping from one to the other from one day to the next. It's been weird. This weekend has been cold, blustery, and rainy. The rain is, of course, welcome in drought-stricken soCal, but yeah. Weird.

thatdamngreendress said...

It's definitely been a weird winter. We didn't get as many balmy days as others around here, but it was milder for sure! I am enjoying the sunshine today (and it hasn't gotten as warm as forecast) but it seems strange...

I love the contrast of this sweet coat with the skull print!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails