July 21, 2013

Worst dress OOTD



I wore this to teach my summer class prior to the heat wave that rendered me unable to wear all non-breathable fabrics and layers. And I have to be honest. I kind of hate this dress (called the Tiered Habitual Shirtdress by Sachin and Babi). I feel like it represents the new(ish) direction of Anthropologie that makes me barely visit the store anymore (says the lady with no free time to spare anyway). It do think it looks cool enough and I like the windowpane pleating/tiers of the skirt portion but I hate that it is sleeveless. It is so so heavy and hot that it makes no sense as a sleeveless dress (unless the sleevelessness is to vent one's extremities due to the furnace effect of the hot polyester fabric). Speaking of, I hate that it is the thickest, worst, most itchy feeling polyester. And I hate that it retailed for $148. Of course, I didn't pay that because I am a second (or third!) cut sale kind of lady. But I cannot believe a dress with fabric that feels like this was ever priced so high.

I've never been a fan of the sleeveless-with-a-collar-and-button-front look on myself. And I won't wear it without some sort of top layer strategy. I'm surprised I decided to keep and wear this dress at all. If I hadn't been extra groggy and rushed as I got ready on this particular morning, I am sure I would have taken a few more days to decide whether it (part of an online order was worth keeping). But it arrived in the morning, on a day when I was already running behind, just as I was lamenting silently that I had no clue what to wear. When I bought it, I had "nursing-friendly" sale goggles. But I need to remind myself that just because something has a button front panel doesn't mean I need to own it.

Who knows? Come fall I might wind up considering this to be a wardrobe staple? But right now I don't even like brushing my bare arm against it as I comb through my closet as I get ready.

Details:
Tiered Habitual Shirtdress from Anthropologie
Gap outlet cardigan
Miu Miu flats
Kors watch

*Save for a giveaway I hope to launch soon, things will be (and have been) a little quiet around here for the next few weeks, as I gear up to FINALLY defend my dissertation. I am embarrassed and humbled that it took me so long. But better late than never! I'll take any luck, well-wishes, and outfit suggestions/advice you have to spare because I am REALLY nervous!

5 comments:

alisonmichele said...

I just defended last month, and I wore this eshakti dress, although mine is hot pink!
http://www.eshakti.com/Product/CL0027575/Olivia-dress

When I am in a nerve-wracking situation, I tend to get very hot and sweat, so I wanted to wear something sleeveless. If sleeveless isn't an option, I'd say at least be sure to wear something that breathes or will not show perspiration very much. I'd also suggest wearing your hair up if you think you might get hot.

I would say that as long as you are not in a department that expects extreme formality at the defense (e.g., everyone is expected to wear a suit), a nice summery dress or a top with a skirt or dress slacks would be fine. I also didn't wear any sort of hose or tights with my dress- I wore nice sandals with a small heel, but again, you would probably know better what the norms in your department are with respect to that.



Good luck with your defense! I'm sure you will do a great job!

Rebecca Lately said...

Good luck!!

Chandra said...

Wishing you good luck!

thatdamngreendress said...

oh, there's nothing like a heat wave to point out the flaws in certain fabrics...I imagine once the cool of autumn comes around the practical prettiness of this dress will emerge, but I hear you on the anthro dress front too- there are no dresses among the recent releases on my wishlist at all! The cuts and fabrics have really taken a dive in that area- there were some spectacular designs in the spring, but so far summer is all about cheap fabrics and uninspired cuts it seems...


Good luck with the defence- I'm massively impressed at how you've brought that in while learning to be a new mother at the same time! Bravo!

mark a. said...

you look very pretty and very comfortable!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails