May 28, 2010

Fitting Room Reviews from Off Fifth Pittsburgh

I'll be back later today or tomorrow with a full review of the store, but for now I wanted to share some of the things I tried on.  Although I wasn't in the market for dresses, I couldn't resist grabbing a few to try on, so I could check out the facilities and dressing room situation at the new store. Things were busy, especially for the middle of the afternoon on a weekday! But more on that later. I was put in the larger, disability-accessible room and felt guilty for how much I appreciated the extra space! I went back later and was put into a perfectly sized regular room so it is good to know all the rooms are well lit, with plenty of space to back up and take in what a piece of clothing looks like on you.
This adorable, springlike, ruffley tiered, Marc by Marc Jacobs cotton dress (available in two colorways) was priced at $160-something, so after coupons it would have been closer to $100 but still more than that. This is an 8 which was surprisingly narrow in the hips. It reminded me a little of the Akebia dress by Moulinette Souers from Anthropologie.
This blousey, drapey, printed silk dress by Rebecca Taylor (similar here) was so cool looking on the hanger but didn't translate to my body. I grabbed a size 8 but needed a 10 so the pockets would sit flat. They had no 10 which is fine because it was priced around $150, I think. 
Apologies for the blurry photo. This purple, beaded Catherine Malandrino shift (similar here and here) was a size 8 and gorgeous on the hanger. The proportions were not cut right for my own body but it would make a great party dress! It was the priciest thing I tried on but the beadwork was really something.
I loved this ruffled wrap dress with a graphic print by Ali Ro (similar here). I took a size 10 but the length, combined with the subtly scalloped petals of the wrap at the hemline, combined with the knowledge of my luck in windy conditions were enough to scare me out of buying it. I don't recall the price but think I worked out the math to have it be around $100 or below with coupons.

The store had a ton of Tibi, a decent amount of MBMJ, no Nanette Lepore, only the disappointing leftovers of recent DVF collections, and a great cocktail dress selection. I know we are past prom season but I would have gone here for a kicky knee length formal dress in a heartbeat, were I of age to need one. More about shoes, men's, bags, and accessories in a bit.

3 comments:

SunnyDay said...

I love that first dress so much. What a perfect summer dress.

Karena said...

I do love the first one as well. Love the flow and design.

Karena
Art by Karena

Ashley said...

That first MbMJ dress is SO cute!! I wish I lived near an Off Fifth, it looks like they have some amazing stuff!

-Ashley
http://breakfastatsaks.blogspot.com

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails