July 28, 2012

Sex reveal (cross posted)

I'm of the perspective that neutral baby things are ideal for first pregnancies, after all if your family expands further it is great for your items to be versatile. I also just enjoy neutral, bright colors. Pastels are pretty but in my own personal (and clumsy) experience, pretty shows more dirt, spills, messes, and stains.

Still, I am a little too excited to keep the sex of the fetus a secret until December. And Chris and I are a little too impatient to wait for a surprise (though we admire deeply the parents who do wait! When else in your life can you experience such an incredible moment of shared surprise?!). So, I am thrilled to announce what we're having (which confirms the suspicions and instincts of many of our family and friends, all along)!


My mom presented me with this bracelet that she purchased in the hospital gift shop when we were told what we're having during my anatomy ultrasound. I laughed through happy tears and asked if she had a blue one too, just in case. She said she didn't think she'd need it. Although she had a 50% chance of being right, I am still fairly amazed by her insistence throughout my pregnancy.

I still gravitate toward neutral items and (as a person mindful about gender fluidity) will be resistant to gender-normative ideas regarding character and personality traits while the fetus remains in utero and through her earliest months and years of life. But it is hard to deny the epic adorable that is girl baby clothing!

Thank you for all the kind words and messages of support along the way. It's been really heartening to hear from other women who have already begun their families, who plan to begin a family, and/or who are enthusiastic about others' choices to begin families. It means a lot to me. xo

12 comments:

UshaJoy said...

Congratulations you two! You now have an heir to your beautiful vintage Chanel! (Though I am sure if you were having a boy, he would love it too!)

Adeline said...

Congratulations!!!! Couldn't be happier for you two :) Thanks for sharing your exciting news with us!

Moody Girl In Style said...

Congratulations! That's exciting news - thanks for sharing it with us! I'm sure that I will want to know the sex of the baby whenever I get pregnant. And there is no what that I would be able to keep it a secret.

carol_prettythings said...

Oh, congratulations, Jess!!! I'm just so excited for you. Big hugs and lots of love!

Erin Gaus said...

Congrats!!! So exciting :) Qe couldn't wait and our November baby is going to be a boy!!!

Erin Gaus said...

Congrats!!! So exciting :) Qe couldn't wait and our November baby is going to be a boy!!!

Terri said...

This is wonderful news! Congrats...and somehow I imagine that a few things that aren't gender neutral are bound to appear in little one's wardrobe.

thatdamngreendress said...

congratulations! welcome to the world of miniature pretty dresses (heck, they are easier than pants in the diapering phase...) I also love the latest trend for babies which is thigh-high socks- easy to move up or down when they get hot, and then they can just wear those lovely snap-tees on top!

A Stylized Hysteria said...

Congrats! I find myself drawn more to little girls than little boys. And I'm thrilled you're having a girl because that means she'll learn to be a strong adult who doesn't think "feminism" is a bad word.

fshnonmymind said...

Congratulations!!! I know this must be an exciting time and you have lots of cute outfits in your future. :)

Sonya said...

Congratulations! It's completely understandable to want to try and keep the gender norms as neutral as possible. I'm sure you'll get a lot of resistance from people along the way. And it can be so hard to deny and fight the idea of dressing up a little girl like a doll -- it's so deeply ingrained in us after all.

Mini Me Style said...

Hi there! Just ran across your blog and while this news is a couple months old, congratulations! I'm a fellow fashion blogger/still-in-grad-school-PhD-student and I'm really enjoying reading about your life as a new, young prof, how you balance your job, style, your growing family, etc. I also really admire your rejection of the gender normativity that seems to be shoved down kids' throats from the time they're big enough to waddle up the toy aisles. :-S Happy new follower here!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails