September 17, 2012

Designer Maternity Brands Reviewed Part 2: NOM Maternity Review

NOM Maternity Dress
NOM Maternity dress

As part two of my series on designer maternity fits, I will discuss NOM Maternity, which offers American-made pieces that look stylish, classic, and simple. I liked that overall, the designs don't scream "maternity." NOM clothing looks like regular, cool looking womenswear. It just happens to have extra belly room.

The quality of NOM in the two pieces I tried was mixed. The Maternity Ruffle Wrap Dress was incredibly soft and warm. The fabric was stretchy but thick with a brushed effect on the interior. This meant that a slip wouldn't be necessary, if not for the true wrap style (which always has me feeling a bit vulnerable). The tulip hemline looked attractive but also revealed more leg than I'm comfortable showing in professional settings. The ruffle trim was pretty but ultimately I returned this dress because of the length. For reference, I ordered a large and thought that I had enough fabric to wrap it tightly.

The second NOM dress I tried had a cowl neck with ruched seams on the side of the waistline and was called the Hawthorne. In the model shots, it appeared as though the black version was longer than the gray (which was the color I wanted). I hoped this was a fluke. But when the gray arrived it was not only quite short but also pretty sheer. I ordered a medium and it was snug. I should have gotten the large. Thank goodness for favorable return policies. I sent both back and received a quick refund.

Both of the NOM pieces I tried were poly blend dresses with a good amount of stretch. Of the two, I preferred the quality of the wrap dress. But the lengths on either dress were a dealbreaker for me. And I'm only 5'3"! I would size up in this brand for length. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails