April 29, 2015

Marc Jacobs Exeter OOTD and thoughts on my shrinking time to shop



I've owned this dress for over a year but I think this is the first time it has made it onto the blog. This is also the first time I wore it to campus. I bought it after a long search that ended with Gilt, surprisingly. I like Gilt but when it comes to out of season/past season clothes, I typically find better prices on Yoox or Ebay.  This Marc by Marc Jacobs dress (in a print called Exeter) didn't sell out when Gilt first had it so when they sent me an extra % off coupon, I took the plunge. But I was worried about sizing. Despite years of familiarity with the MBMJ brand, I have found that newer season garments don't fit me as well. It could be a change in their size patterns or changes in my waistline. Regardless, it has made me reluctant to buy because I lack concrete fit information.




Thankfully this risk brought reward. I really like the print and the length of the sleeves. I am wearing a size 8 so if you are hunting for it, it runs large. The (not sheer but still) mesh panel across the waist and through the back can be easily camouflaged and reinforced with high waist tights. Buying without trying is always a risk and with sites like Gilt (who have return policies that seem to vary per garment/order), I was extra nervous. Anymore I rarely get to buy after trying on something especially when it comes to my favorite dress brands. This is part of why I buy less in general. It wasn't always the case.

When Pittsburgh had a Saks downtown, I used to be able to kill two birds with one stone. I would comb the sale racks and then sweep through new arrivals. I would try on pieces to consider buying that day or for fit information to guide future (eventual sale) purchases. Back then I had more spare time in general since I hadn't yet had a child. I was also traveling more for work and for fun, and could visit department stores that aren't in Pittsburgh. I am sure I could try on more things at the local Nordstrom but it isn't downtown. And as much as I enjoy shopping in stores, I typically can't justify a drive to the burbs just to browse. I also find fewer current styles that appeal to me from my former go-to brands so there is less of a draw overall. I do miss having time to meander around by myself and try on clothes. I always found it to be relaxing.

Lately, if I get into a fitting room at all it's kind of a miracle. I rarely feel able to focus on shopping for myself when I am in stores. Searching racks, making selections, finding my sizes, and then also having enough time left to try on something seems impossible. I spend a lot more time at the Disney Store than I do in stores for me. But that is fun too, just for different reasons.

The semester is finished (grades are due today), my annual review portfolio will be completed in a few weeks, and then I will have a bit more time and flexibility to do my own thing... At least in theory, apart from my book revisions, article manuscript drafting, and grant writing. Regardless, I am looking forward to trying to shop in person again soon!

Details:
Marc by Marc Jacobs Exeter dress
Banana Republic Factory cardigan
Spanx tights (25% off with code FRIEND)
Tory Burch Revas

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails