July 20, 2008

Back after an unintentioned hiatus!

I am living in Georgetown now which is dangerous for my bank account. There is a lot of shopping here in DC in general, but the convenience of being able to walk to Barneys Coop, a plethora of cool bookstores, Anthropologie, Urban Outfitters, and Sephora, to name just a few is really all-consuming. It is hard enough trying to resist spending Speck's college fund at Trader Joe's and CVS which are only blocks away. I don't need any temptations! I have a house to buy in a week!

But I have managed to manage my money well here, bolstered by the multiple unexplained deposits from my predoctoral fellowship (which, as it turns out are all legitimate), and the generosity of the couple with whom I am staying, rent free.

I did have to spend a decent chunk of change on acquiring reliable internet access. I was misinformed about the iPhone's tethering capabilities. And I found out about the misinformation AFTER I bought matching iphones for Chris and me. We didn't intend to match, but we both wanted the white ones.


Although I could do some internet-ing via the iphone, I had to pursue other options. So I found a way, via the sierra wireless aircard.


And if I cancel the At&t data plan and return the sierra wireless aircard within a month, I am off scott free. Even if I don't, I can pay the $175 early termination fee and sell the aircard for about that on ebay. I also get to give my dad my Razr which he technically bought for me a few years ago and is excited to use as his phone. :)

I am very close to being debt free for the first time in a while. Other than my small, interest and payment-deferred student loan, I have no debt. I need to be debt free if I am going to sign on for the risks associated with buying and owning a home.

That said, I haven't been entirely spendthrift. I have made a few careful purchases in addition to the iphones.

These dresses were all on major sale.

Theory Dilia dress from Bloomingdales
A.P.C. dress bought at Barney's Coop but blogged about earlier!

Marc by Marc Jacobs velvet Mochachino dress (part of the fall of 90s grunge):
I also have some photos of myself in a few other new dresses from Zara and Saks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

First i would like to tell you that your blog really brings out who
you are, and a blog which is something so personal , is hard to get a readers understandings and
viewer ship but i think you've done a great job. awesome!
In the mean tim a bit about myself , i work in paris in a company called " on aura tout vu"
www.onauratoutvu.com
as you can see it from the name that its very french.. lol
but i thought u might be interested in it.. as you always write about new , innovative and inspiring ideas and details.. i thought our company might
interest you.. my request to you would be to put our website link on your blog page.. or write about us with our website link on the article..
if we interest you of course!
please visit our website for a more comprenhensive information and also feel free to email me.. for anything else at
oliviapkr@gmail.com
in the mean time keep posting!
take care and have a great week.
Olivia

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails