September 16, 2010

Refined Cord(uroy) Reed Shirtdress Review


Like many I loved the simple 1950s inspired shape of last spring's Reed Shirtdress. When it was released in corduroy for fall as the Refined Cord Shirtdress, I was a bit hesitant because what I liked about the silhouette from before was its lightness.


Though this photo is a little blurry, you can see how the wind gives it movement. It moves really nicely and the heaviness of a cord might negate that. I tried on an 8 this week and was surprised that it seemed less poofy than the Reed. Perhaps the heaviness of the corduroy streamlined the skirt? Regardless, I found this to run larger than the earlier version. The elastic panel in the back of the Refined Cord is much stretchier than it's previous iteration. The metal buttons are really nice and the cord is thick and durable. I am not sure that I will buy this since I have the Reed in a solid and a plaid, but it is definitely a great dress that fits a bit larger than the other.

5 comments:

triciathomas said...

I love that shirtdress!! Cute picture of you and your little dog!

Anonymous said...

Hi, thanks for all the great reviews! Both versions of the shirtdress look fantastic on you. I am wondering about sizing - did you find the 8 to be the right size in the corduroy dress, or too big since it runs bigger than the Reed? Do you mind sharing your measurements? I think I'm around the same size as you but I vary between a 6 and an 8 in dresses and I'm trying to figure out which one to order. Thanks!

SunnyDay said...

I like the idea of cordoroy for winter. Still I like the softness and movement of the original, which doesn't translate quite as well to a substantial fabric.

Jesspgh of Consume or Consumed said...

Thank you Tricia!

Anon, thanks for your comment! You are very sweet. I found the 8 to be a little large and was curious about the 6. Whereas with the solid colored Reed the 8 was a bit snug (I have to pin it at the bust) for fear of gaping. I am 5'3. I wear a 34 dd bra and my waist is 27 inches. I hope this is helpful!

Desert Flower, I live in slim legged stretch corduroy pants once it gets too cold to wear only tights so this dress does appeal to me. But the heaviness is something that makes it different, and in a way less appealing than the earlier iteration.

wedding shoes said...

You are looking fabulous in red rather than in blue. I have noticed that your outfits are always great but the thing I think to change is your shoes according to outfit. This will give you a complete plus perfect look.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails