March 07, 2012

Nude Pantyhose for Day?

Kate Spade Nellie dress
Anthropologie belt
MBMJ bag and shoes
With and without nude pantyhose (c/o Hanes)

Yesterday I posted a photo that included sheer pantyhose by Hanes Hosiery. I didn't mention that I was wearing them because I was curious as to whether they'd go unnoticed. The other week, a representative from Hanes contacted me to ask if I would style an outfit with and without their nude sheers. I obliged because as longer-term readers know I suffer from acute tights dependency. In other words, come warm weather, I cling to my hosiery like glue. I fear the exposure. I want the coverage. And I hate lacking the buffer to prevent "chub rub." I envy those women who welcome bare legged season without hesitation. Bike shorts notwithstanding, I am not among them.

Although I never wear sheer or nude pantyhose, my opaque tights and fishnets are beloved. So I accepted the challenge from Hanes because it offered a potential middle ground. I also know that many professional women have to wear pantyhose as part of their office dress codes. So while I found it difficult to not associate a particular dated look with nude pantyhose, I realize that for plenty of career women of all ages, they are requisite.

I remember wearing nude hose in middle school. I remember wearing them in high school. I remember their ubiquity in the 80s and 90s. I also remember them feeling uncomfortable compared to tights. They squeezed more and they ripped more. But outside of the confines of stricter corporate dress codes, I can't recall seeing many women my age sporting sheer hose today. Terra of Stylish White Female (who also styled an outfit with and without) reminded me that Kate Middleton wears them often. Other than within conservative, professional contexts I don't see them being worn among my non-royal circle of similarly-aged peers.

Some thoughts: it is good that Hanes Hosiery Sheers come in full length or thigh high. Although I tried a pair of regular full length pantyhose, I think the thigh highs offer women who don't fear the exposure or the "chub rub" a useful alternative to feeling confined. The sheers really are quite sheer. So they offer some coverage while still allowing the leg to be seen. I did think they had a bit of a shimmer to them which some women might dislike. I imagine the intent was to mimic the shine of recently shaved and moisturized legs. I would follow their size chart accordingly and size up as recommended if you are on the cusp. The control top was definitely more confining and squeezy than my beloved tights. But they felt comfortable on the legs.

14 comments:

Tara_St said...

I actually wear nude panty hose sometimes and I do feel a little bit old lady-ish when I wear them. But, sometimes the a professional setting and a lack of time to shave your legs necessitates nude pantyhose. I actually wear them when I can't figure out what color opaque tights to wear. I kind of like the shimmer on them because it makes them feel less like drab nude hose.

Tara
Penniless Socialite

tasty moog said...

i have nude fishnets and sheer black tights, but haven't worn nude hose in many years. i too hang onto my tights as long as possible into warmer months, though it's been quite a while since i worked some place that enforced always-covered legs.

Cynthia said...

The best thing for not-tights season is not bike shorts -- it is the silk "lightweight above the knee shortie" from Wintersilks. No compression, airy natural fibers. Just sayin'.

Kathy said...

I'm obviously stuck in the 80's and 90's because I think alot of outfits look far better with nude hose than with tights. I guarantee that tights will eventually go out of style and nude hose will come back in fashion. These styles always come and go in cycles.

toriradday said...

Lovely dress!
xoxo,
Tori
www.fashiontrendsmore.com

Jesspgh of Consume or Consumed said...

You're so right. Trends ebb and flow and eventually tights are going to look dated. Nude hose seem to already be coming back and I realize for many women they never went away. But regardless, I am glad to have tights as an option. I like tights enough that I imagine I'll cling to them even when they're out of style!

Jesspgh of Consume or Consumed said...

Oh the bike shorts I wear are all cotton and natural... not super compressing or anything like that.

I'd love a link to the shorts you're suggesting though!

Jesspgh of Consume or Consumed said...

Yeah I still wear sheer black tights for evening as I think they look far more formal than tights.

Jesspgh of Consume or Consumed said...

I think that's a smart idea to use them as a covered alternative to opaque tights!

M. said...

I hate regular pantyhose. As you said, it's the rips and the squeeze. I also dislike the shimmer. Even when/if tights go out of fashion I will continue to wear them. And when it's warmer weather, I will choose bike shorts over hose any day.

Kathy said...

You know what? You just made me realize why I don't like the look of tights so much with an outfit.....Because to me, they look dated. I wore all sorts of colored tights in the early 80's.

Christy said...

I wear sheer nude pantyhose on occassion. I definitely feel more professional and dressy in them than if I go bare-legged. Sometimes I want the coverage, but an oqaque tight is just not right for the outfit, so I opt for the sheer nude.

Paul said...

Women look better in nude Pantyhose! plain and simple.women who think they look better in a skirt or dress without pantyhose are just wrong. I dont care if you have the best tanned and toned leggs, they would look better in a nice pair of nude pantyhose.......Really!!!! 9 out of 10 men would agree.

Joan said...

defenetly pro!... with is always better then without... and the new style nude sheers look and feel in no way like the ones from the ninetees or earlier... There's , except for the fact the sometimes do run, no reason not to wear them anymore

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails