October 26, 2012

Orla Kiely for Uniqlo Review

In honor of the recently launched online shopping options for Uniqlo, I couldn't resist trying some of the Orla Kiely pieces. I am an avid fan of the vibrant and sometimes borderline twee prints of this British designer but not so crazy about her regular prices. Orla Kiely dresses that are unattached to other retailers often cost over $400! So this "massclusive" partnership with Uniqlo winds up seeming like an even better bargain. I was hopeful that a few of the pieces could work for a pregnant and (eventually) postpartum body and I was right! They are also of course great for non-pregnant folks.


First up is the Peter Pan Collared dresses in various prints. I picked three of these dresses and was pleased with the softness and give of the fabric in each case. Although they stretch, they are thick enough to not be sheer or require additional coverage from a slip. I liked that the fabric was stretchy without being clingy. The colors were saturated and vibrant. I ordered size large and found it to fit amply over my 34 weeks pregnant belly and full bust. The length was also excellent and probably even better for taller gals when there isn't a full torso winnie-the-poohing up the garments. The shape is tent-like which is fine with me but I also tried it with a belt and found the effect to be quite flattering. I do wonder if a lower belting strategy would work as nicely as this empire one but at the moment I lack the waistline required to attempt it. The above print and the tiny floral one (maroon with navy trim) fit similarly and slightly smaller than the following option.


The deep fall colors of this circles print really grabbed me but I do think that this runs noticeably larger than the other two, even though I got them in the same sizes. I guess the trade off with massclusive lines is quality control. Although my belly means that the medium would have likely been too snug, I do think that without the variable of pregnancy, these dresses fit noticeably on the large side of true, regardless of print option. For the price ($29) they are a good value. And they absolutely work for maternity needs. Although I'm not sure if I will keep them all, I am going to at least keep the first one because the colors are so fun and with tights I think I can wear it to campus.


Lastly, I grabbed a long sleeved stem print tee ($19). I already have two Orla Kiely for Uniqlo tees from the previous collection that I have been wearing throughout pregnancy and I grabbed this in a large. It is less stretchy than the short sleeved tees and a little less soft but the structure is fine. I think these run slightly more snug than some of the other pieces in the collection but the length is ample and covers the stretchy band at the top of my pants without any issues.

As an aside, holy wow does Uniqlo ship quickly with their free shipping option!! I know some websites (GAP Brands, I'm looking at you) downgrade your order's processing time when you get to their free ship threshold. With Uniqlo, I ordered on Tuesday and my package came via FedEx on Thursday! Returns are a flat $7 (which mirrors the cost to ship orders that don't meet the threshold) so I did order more to avoid paying that $7 twice (if I needed to return). Now I'm stuck deciding what to keep and what to send back because I do like everything! Have you ordered from Uniqlo's online store?

10 comments:

Pamela said...

Ummmm...not yet, but going to now!! Love those dresses! Thought about picking up a scarf, too. Thank you Sooo much for your reviews!

zyzzyva said...

I am obsessed with these dresses.  No lie.  I actually bought two a while ago off eBay when they came out in the UK and Asia (the multi-color flower one here and the tiny clover print on dark grey).  Even though I knew Uniqlo was coming to the US, I wasn't sure the Orla Kiely line would be part of it at that point.  Despite paying double for the dresses, I don't regret it, as I've worn each a dozen times since.  They are the perfect additions to my autumn wardrobe.  Am very excited about pairing them with boots when the weather cools off more. 

I too got them in size Large, but could've easily taken a Medium.  However, I really like the drape of the extra fabric and the added hem and sleeve lengths.  Plus, I was concerned about eventual shrinkage since they're machine washable... And yes, I just bought a couple more when Uniqlo's US website went live!  ;) 

Kristin said...

This is the first I've heard of Uniqlo.  How did I miss that?  I love all of these pieces and I can't believe they are offering OK pieces for so cheap.  I will definitely be placing an order:)  Thanks for the info and for the detailed reviews!

Jesspgh of Consume or Consumed said...

I was really tempted by the ebay options before they were released in the US too! I regularly search for Orla dresses just in case there are ever deals and even with the ebay mark up, these are comparatively deals!

I'm glad to hear these dresses are versatile in your wardrobe. I am hopeful that they'll be as wearable for me. It seems like they will be and can make great layering bases for an outfit! Did you notice any shrinkage when you washed them? I am a little worried about losing length while my belly is big. Thanks so much for your comment!

Jesspgh of Consume or Consumed said...

I only know about them from visits to NY, which is where they first put their US location a few years back. I am glad the info is helpful to you! Orla is so pricey normally and the Target collaboration didn't include any clothing so I was thrilled to get some scarves and tshirts the first time around thanks to a helpful friend who proxy shopped for me. Now with the online shopping options, it is even easier! I hope you like the stuff you pick!

Jessica said...

WAIT, there is a second round of Orla for Uniqlo?!?!?! Oh dear.

Susan said...

Thanks for the wonderful reviews! You look so great in the dresses and tee outfits! I found a coupon for $5 off with a $50 min order - code is SHOPNOW in case anyone else is going to order. I had a hard time picking just a few things, but I had to order that fun dress in your first pic!

Jesspgh of Consume or Consumed said...

I KNOW! haha I like the deeper fall color options.

Jesspgh of Consume or Consumed said...

Thank you for the kind words and for the GREAT TIP re: the coupon! I hope you like the dress!

jessica m. said...

I just got one of these dresses in the mail, and it fits everywhere, pretty much, except my bum feels totally exposed! Just standing there, it feels short, and bending over or reaching for something on a shelf would be out of the question. I feel like I would only wear this over pants, but perhaps I am excessively modest in that regard. I am not a tall person, either! They look very cute on you, though!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails