July 09, 2015

Interviewing OOTD


For understandable reasons, the bulk of blog advice and consideration surrounding interview outfits is focused on what candidates should (and shouldn't) wear. From having been on the other side of interviewing a few times at this point, I can say that even the process of dressing to be an interviewer can be difficult.


When I know I will be interviewing candidates, I consider carefully what I will wear. Since the interview process is daunting and lengthy for all involved parties, I try to focus on comfort and avoid anything that could be distracting or fussy. Academia in general and the humanities in particular can vary greatly in codes of dress. Couple this sartorial uncertainty with the variability of summer weather and the knowledge that I would be headed out for a date with Chris right after and my outfit conundrum became even more baffling.

But any time I find myself in uncertain dress code situations, I err on the sides of neutrals and basics. This dress and cardigan combo felt a bit casual for conducting interviews but my other breathable summer dresses uniformly are vibrant prints. For this kind of occasion, plain seemed preferable to print. I was seated for the bulk of the day so my outfit was barely visible but I remained comfortable throughout the process. I don't think I would teach in this ensemble because that is a situation where attention gets centralized onto me. But I would wear it again for committee meetings or to do consulting during the summer months.

The shoes are some of the most comfortable wedges I've encountered. Whenever Nike Air technology gets wedded with office-friendly pumps, feet have cause to rejoice. The bag is comprised of incredibly light and durable leather, in a color that seems to match everything and I got it for a song on Ebay. All in all, I am happy with how this outfit turned out. 

Details:
Old Navy Swing Dress
Banana Republic Factory Cardigan
Cole Haan Air Tali wedges (on sale and bought with a gift card- Narrow at the toe so I took an 8 instead of a 7.5 but needed the Nordstrom shoe associate to add a heel grip which he did on site. Their strong customer service reputation continues to be deserved! And early access to the Anniversary Sale has just begun!)
Longchamp Quadri Hobo in Pebble
Both necklaces were gifts from loved ones

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails