July 10, 2011

Maine-ly abstaining from shopping


I was in Maine for the last 10 days or so (if you count the time spent driving) and as much as I enjoyed it, I am really glad to be home. I will write about the trip later on but one of the things I got to do en route was stop by the renown Woodbury Commons Premium Outlets in New York. It made a logical halfway point for a break in the drive and I was eager to visit a place I had heard about for so long. Although the store selection was overwhelming, I had limited time and was traveling with Chris and Speck, the dog. For this reason I chose the stores I wanted to visit carefully and browsed swiftly. I was able to visit Chloé, Balenciaga, Barneys, Off Fifth, Neiman Marcus Last Call, and Kate Spade. If I had unlimited time, I would have also gone into Prada, Burberry, and Tory Burch.

I was surprised by how dog friendly most of the stores were! Speck accompanied us into Barneys, Off Fifth, and Kate Spade. In Barneys they even gave her a bowl with fresh water! I didn't buy anything except for some road snacks from Off Fifth (thanks to the Mystery Money promo, they were basically free). I did see a dress I've coveted for a while in the Chloé outlet, but even the outlet discounts were too spendy for my budget.

Maine itself was kind of a clothes shopping desert, save for Portland in which cute stores abound but I didn't shop... even the outlets in Freeport where the L.L. Bean flagship store is located had nothing I wanted. I did buy plenty of food, though. Ice cream, lobster, farm fresh cheeses and produce, etc. I didn't succumb to vacation goggles OR outlet goggles. Both can skew tastes with the lure of the novel. I did buy some things at the New Hampshire Liquor and Wine Outlet. But libations are different. :)

6 comments:

MysteriousM said...

did you try Kittery?  They have nice shops too, but I think you'll be hard pressed to find a lot of top designer stores anywhere in New England, unless it's at an outlet mall.

Laura Martin said...

Yes!  Did you go to Kittery?  I need to know!  I was born there.  

Good for you Jess.  You are discriminating in your shopping choices.  After hearing that Kittery is a dry hole, I suppose that shoots down any thought of living there.  Sounds too much like my current Dry Hole. Bakersfield CA. 

I agree that libations are different  They are easily categorized as Groceries.  A necessity of life.  Without them you would die of thirst.  Right?

embarrassmentofriches said...

I'm so jealous you went to Maine...I think I would love it, despite not eating seafood :) Please keep posting about your vacations and whatever else you feel compelled to write about! I appreciate how much thought you give to crafting every post. It's hard work to go beyond the fluffy niceties so many fashion bloggers fall into the trap of relying on, but you continue to put out thought-provoking entries. I don't say it often enough, but every post of yours gives me something to chew on.  

PS Woodbury Commons is also on my list - I need to get there, and take Chloe too, it would seem!

Jesspgh of Consume or Consumed said...

I didn't. I should have planned things out better. Next time, though!

Jesspgh of Consume or Consumed said...

I didn't go to Kittery. I wish I had been more careful in my planning. I think it would be really wonderful to grow up in Maine, though! I found it to be idyllic and delicious. :)

Libations are basically groceries. You are right! haha

Jesspgh of Consume or Consumed said...

I am sure you would love it! So many small farms and stands and places to get amazing house-made ice cream. Even if you don't eat seafood, there are plenty of options. We went to a delicious pizza place called Otto/Enzo (on the Enzo side you can drink) that had tons of veggie-friendly menu items.

BTW, Thank you so much for the compliments. I was feeling a little hesitant to share or post on the blog at all this week so it really encourages me that you said such sweet things. xo

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails