August 08, 2012

Missing my former favorites

It is fruitless to lament the loss of my pre-pregnant body, especially when I have no way to anticipate how/where things will wind up, post-partum. But I do miss my "regular" summer clothes. If it is hard now, the fall might be impossible! And I am not even a person who really likes summer clothing.

Here are some examples of what I would be wearing if my stomach didn't protrude more and more, each day:


Hopefully my enthusiasm for these pieces will provide incentive to return to some semblance of what I regard to be my "normal" (imperfect, curvy, but confident in my own skin). I didn't anticipate having my body image complicated by pregnancy but I also didn't realize how destabilizing it would feel to surrender control to the space of (necessary) body transitions. Don't get me wrong. I am happy that my body is doing what it needs to, in order to accommodate a developing fetus. But I would be denying my own (admitted) vanity to feign complete ambivalence. Are there any "been there, done that" folks who felt similarly?

4 comments:

thatdamngreendress said...

I love these, but they will be back next summer (and likely still practical) as you run after your new one, who may be beginning some world exploration at that point! The whole motherhood thing seems like an awesome science project to me ( a colleague has identical twins and I just want to quiz her constantly!) so embrace the changes as much as possible, because I can only imagine how scary it is as a smart gal, in charge of your own life up to now, to cede control to natural forces!

ali said...

Jess,
I can sympathize as a mom of two. The hardest part of pregnancy is how much your body changes. I got into jewellery and accessories as a way to dress up some dull maternity clothes. It goes fast, before you know it you will be back to your old wardrobe. Try to enjoy your changing shape !

Sarah said...

I've had one and am about as far along as you with my second. It is hard to not have a waist, but the first time taught me that you will get back to pre-pregnancy weight by breastfeeding/chasing a kid around. I know it's hard right now, but you'll be on the other side soon enough and even (perhaps, oddly) missing this a little...

A Stylized Hysteria said...

If you didn't have any sort of mixed emotions about your body changing while pregnant, I'd be forced to assume you're actually a robot. And here to destroy humanity.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails