April 01, 2010

Nerd Dress Alert: Nanette Lepore Stella Dallas

My ongoing interest in prints has made difficult the hunt for occasion pieces. But maybe my undocumented, uncorroborated rules are too strict? I tend to wear solids to weddings, unless the fabric or silhouette is formal enough to carry off a look.

Anyway, I nabbed this Nanette Lepore Stella Dallas number off ebay for a song, thinking I could wear it to a wedding or two this summer. The pixelated flowers drew me to the dress. (Which can be found for reasonable prices on ebay. You can also find similar pixel prints here and here).

From far away the print is unremarkable but up close you see something reminiscent of of an 8-bit video game. The only problem is, it is about two sizes too large. I bought a 12 (it was seriously so inexpensively priced) and wish I had waited for a 10 or 8. The overall effect makes me look bulky (especially in the shoulders and bust). Not sure if anything can be done but I am going to take it to the tailor just in case. I panicked in part because of another pixel print dress that got away.
I still long for the above, beaded, beautiful 3.1 Phillip Lim one.

7 comments:

Tien said...

The Nanette Lepore Dress is really beautiful, but you're right, it's too big on you. Hopefully the tailor will be able to take it in for you.

Good luck finding your Philip Lim Dress. I have a Tocca coat from several years ago that got away and I think about it every winter.

Jesspgh of Consume or Consumed said...

Thank you, Tien! The worst part (other than the bust/underarm area) is the waist. Very blousey. I don't know what I was thinking but hopefully a tailor can save it. I'd love to see a picture of the coat you long for!

Allie said...

That Philip Lim is TDF. As is with a lot of his stuff IMO.

Tien said...

Here is the link to the coat. It's really beautiful. I still search ebay for it.

Anonymous said...

Jeremy's department store in SF or Berkeley in the bay area just sent out an ad with that Philip Lim dress saying that it will be on sale for $96 this weekend. Not sure what size or even what location. But thought you might want to look into it ...

Jesspgh of Consume or Consumed said...

I agree, Allie. I have a whole folder of photos of missed Lim dresses.

Tien, thank you for the link. I commented on the post. It is a beautiful piece!

Anon, thank you for the fantastic tip! That dress is many seasons old at this point so I am surprised they wouldn't have sold it as overstock to an outlet by now. I will look into it! I had resolved myself to scour ebay which is only marginally efficient.

Anonymous said...

Jeremy's is a discount store -- they sell old or overstock designer stuff along with old/overstocked J.Crew and Anthro (among others) .... the name is a bit misleading.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails