February 16, 2011

The hardest working garment in my closet

Marc by Marc Jacobs Paisley dress
J. Crew ruffle cardigan
Spanx tights
Marc by Marc Jacobs captoe maryjanes

I've been thinking a lot lately about selectivity, sale googles, and shopping. As I notice my Anthropologie wishlist dwindle, with only a few errant past-season items waiting to pop back, I feel good. I feel like I've gotten a better handle on my consumerism. Whenever I find myself with nagging pangs of want, I force myself to acknowledge whether I have similar items already before buying. "Does this fill a gap? Or does this just mimic an already loved, perfectly functional piece?"


As my closet expanded (or more accurately, got stuffed to the gills) it became increasingly difficult for anything to fill a gap. At this point the only thing I can do is upgrade or weed out lesser-worn pieces. This process also has me thinking about the hardest working pieces I own. Those items that I relish in wearing and repeating, again and again, year after year.


Since some of the hard workers for this year are only about a year old (or less), I'll have to wait and see if my taste for them grows or fades with time. But this winter the above dress has been one of my hardest workers. I want to compile a list of my hardest workers and would love to have reader input too.

If you want to submit a photo and/or description of your hardest working garment(s) please email me at jesspgh at gmail dot com. In doing so, you/it will be featured on an upcoming blog post. Be sure to include a link to your blog, if applicable!

5 comments:

Tien said...

Oh, this is a fun idea. I'd love to see your hardest working items. I'll try to narrow down mine, but most likely it will be a coat, shoes, or a sweater. Maybe that's why I don't mind splurging on them.

JewishGirl said...

I love this idea! I'll have to think of something for you...

betsey johnson bathing suits said...

That are really beautiful dresses, i like all of that very much. I also impressed on your idea . Thanks a lot .
betsey johnson bathing suits

Carly said...

This is a great idea, Jess. I'll also have to try to think of something!

Marianne Canada said...

I actually wrote about a hard working garmet/wardrobe workhorse here: http://looksgoodfromtheback.blogspot.com/2011/01/marianne-favorite.html
I have gotten so much wear out of that Marc Jacobs top and I'd give anything to have two of them. I am sad that it's finally starting to show its age.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails