October 17, 2012

Designer Maternity Reviews: Maternal America


I posted an OOTD and belly photos that included this Maternal America dress but I haven't said too much about its fit. I LOVED the print of this when I saw it on Amazon and during their maternity clothing clearance I managed to grab one for a substantial discount. This style is called the "scoop" and my print is called "citrus floral." It retailed for $128 but I got it for 65% off.

For reference, I am wearing a large and believe this dress to run true to designer maternity sizing (though definitely on the small side of big box maternity sizing). The knit of this particular dress is nice and thick (almost sweater-esque) so it is a great piece for cooler weather. It is fully lined in the torso and skirt, providing excellent coverage without needing a slip. The waist tie is sturdy and stays put. The scoop is a bit low (particularly on a full and/or growing bust) so that is something to be mindful about in certain contexts. One drawback is that it is somewhat short for professional settings. Although it has belly room and doesn't "winnie the pooh" up in the front, it is already above the knee on my 5'3" frame. I did wear it to work but with tights and on a day when I wouldn't be in front of the class during student presentations.

What drew me to this dress was the fact that it is a style and print I would covet during not-pregnant times. That it is technically maternity won't deter me from wearing it postpartum. It yields a lot of compliments and is very comfortable. Although I haven't tried other Maternal America styles, I am really happy with this one and can use the sizing from it to work as a baseline size reference in the future.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails