October 15, 2012

Scenes from a baby shower

With the aunts-to-be!

This past weekend I had the first of my baby showers. It was hosted by Chris's mom and stepmom, who worked beautifully together to throw a very nice party. The food was delicious and there were plenty of sweet treats too. I was happy to be surrounded by wise women of all ages, whose support and encouragement help me feel confident and enthusiastic about becoming a mother.


My friend China (who I wrote about here) came back to Pittsburgh from New York for the occasion. It was so fantastic to see her and catch up! My mom and sister also made the drive from far south of Pittsburgh to far north, in order to be a part of the festivities.  It was a great day to spend time with women I love. Chris came for the latter portion of the shower to say hello and help us transport all the gifts and donations that we collected for the food bank,* back to the city.

With the grandmas-to-be!

Everyone was incredibly sweet and made me feel comfortable in my changing (and growing) skin. I joked with the guests that I felt and looked smaller just a few days prior. I swear my belly popped even more, seemingly overnight, and just in time for the occasion! The room was full of kind, thoughtful, generous loved ones. And in turn, Chris and I felt very loved and immensely grateful.

Outfit details: I wore a More of Me Maternity faux wrap dress with a camisole (because I knew I would be in front of too many people to show a lot of visible cleavage without feeling exposed). I also wore extremely comfortable maternity tights by Assets! Assets is Spanx's diffusion line and I was pleasantly surprised to find pairs on clearance for $5 at my local Tuesday Morning. The quality of these tights seems pretty good and they don't have the dreaded shine of a lot of affordable hosiery.

*To follow up our Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank benefit, held to correspond with our wedding (blogged here), the shower hostesses coordinated a baby food drive where we collected donations from the guests. We both thought it was a great idea and it allowed us to do some good while we were so generously showered with baby things.

4 comments:

thatdamngreendress said...

*sniff* so sweet!  I also love that the decorations worked in lots of lavender to avoid everything being pink!!

Robina said...

Oh how fun! I wish I could have been there! I miss you so.

Jesspgh of Consume or Consumed said...

I know! I miss you too. xo

Jesspgh of Consume or Consumed said...

Thank you! Purple has always been my favorite so I know my mother-in-law and stepmother-in-law were careful to work it into things. But pink is a crowd pleaser for a lot of the older relatives so it winds up being a necessary inclusion since we're "public" about the sex of the fetus.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails