October 31, 2012

Halloween and my very pregnant (potentially borderline) costume


As much as I love it because of candy and fall and all things spooky, Halloween can be challenging due to the pressure to concoct a creative and/or clever costume. And when you're 34 weeks pregnant, the costume options narrow considerably. Although I am not a person who practices a particular faith, I was raised Catholic, most of my family is Catholic, and I continue to feel a strong affinity for its history as well as its iconography.

With some trepidation (after all, despite my lack of practicing religious affiliation, I do believe in being sensitive to others' articles of faith), I decided that my very pregnant costume would be the Blessed Virgin Mary. I consulted with numerous practicing Catholic loved ones to ensure this choice wouldn't be inadvertently hurtful and found a "one size fits all" costume online that I hoped would fit a pregnant body. It was... snug. But it was also stretchy and all I had. So I wore it Saturday evening to a party and it seemed to be a big hit.


Chris was having costume block so I suggested he consider being Steven Tyler. Lots of scarves. Layers. A mic stand. Scatting. Big lips. Etc. He loved the idea! I did my best to help him execute it and it turned out way better than my own costume. Homemade costumes usually do...


Finally, I wanted to send my thoughts to those along the eastern seaboard who have been effected by Hurricane Sandy. It is hard to fathom the losses but I hope for a speedy and efficient recovery. You can contribute help for those in need through the Red Cross website.

Happy Halloween!

5 comments:

Rebecca Lately said...

Steve Tyler and the Virgin Mary!  What a pair! Hahaha!  I love it :)

Maggie B. said...

I think it's awesome that you went as the Blessed Mother.  If I ever get pregnant and Halloween happens I'm totally going to steal this costume! =)

thatdamngreendress said...

Love it!  Great stylish pseudo-biblical sandals too!  I once dressed as Mia Farrow in Rosemary's Baby for halloween (another option next time you`re preggers) and inadvertently touched off an argument in the kitchen.  I realised someone was getting yelled at for smoking near a pregnant lady!  I rapped the hubcap in my belly to demonstrate that all was fine (though I should have kept up the pretence to avoid being surrounded by smoke:)

Love Mr. Tyler- the leopard chiffon blouse is killer!!

carol_prettythings said...

You're both so awesome. Love it!

A Stylized Hysteria said...

I love both your costumes! You look great! Having seen Steve Tyler in real life, I have to say he's about half of Chris's size. Dude is so short and skinny!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails