June 13, 2014

Regular Rotation OOTD and a realignment of my work life balance



This dress continues to be one of my all time favorites. I wish I could buy it in a dozen different fabrics. Please make more work-friendly shirt dresses, Kate Spade! I love this one because it is  comfortable and continues to flatter even though my body is very different from when I first bought it, years ago.

On the day I took the photo above, I wore it to teach and to grade/introduce our senior capstone presentations. Around this time I also wore it to the first round of interviews for a local startup accelerator program where I (along with my co-founder friends) pitched a business idea successfully. We start the accelerator program on Monday and once everything is official and made public I will happily share more. In the meanwhile, you can check out our company, Covey.

Things are about to get insanely busy as I try to balance starting a company with my summer writing projects, course preps, and research for my regular job, in addition to being present for my family. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a bit terrified. Last summer I lamented that I missed out on a lot of time with Emilia so that I could finish and defend my dissertation. This summer, I'll be in an even less ideal work-life balance situation since I will be less able to do most of my work from home. I won't be there to respond to her needs, take breaks when I miss her, nurse on demand, or go for impromptu pre-nap walks. It's not lost on me that this time is fleeting incredibly. But if I didn't attempt to take advantage of this unique opportunity, I would be plagued with regret. It will be a big change for both of us, as we've been lucky to spend a ton of time together even with my full time job. I hope we both adjust well.

Despite the hectic schedule to come, I plan to continue to document my outfits. I know that the tech/startup world is notorious for being casual so that presents a sartorial challenge for me. Unless I'm going to a ballgame I don't typically wear many t-shirts. I'll want to "fit in" but I'll also want to feel confident, competent, and comfortable. So if anyone has industry-specific suggestions or ideas, I'd love to hear them.

Outfit Details:
Kate Spade dress
J. Crew cardigan
Spanx tights
Dumond shoes

1 comment:

Sharon said...

congrats Jess! It sounds like a lot to tackle but I have faith you'll do an amazing job! It's wonderful for Emilia to have such an awesome mom like you as a role model!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails